Haul day! There are few things better than waking up to a bunch of Korean beauty packages. You should've seen the goofy grin on my face as I tore into these. I've been super excited for Mishibox's introductory subscription box, having waited for months with some hints and teases on social media, and it's finally here!
June 2015 MishiboxI've heard a couple of people expressing their disappointment with the inaugural box, but honestly, I am quite happy with it. First, what I got:
- Banila Co Clean It Zero (Deluxe Sample): Try this award-winning and bestselling cleansing oil balm to easily remove makeup and other pore-clogging impurities without stripping your skin of its beneficial oils.
- Benton Honest Cleansing Foam (Deluxe Sample): After the Clean It Zero, try out this hypoallergenic facial cleanser that uses many natural ingredients to gently cleanse your skin, provide moisture, and minimize skin tightening.
- Benton Snail Bee High Content Mask Pack (Single Mask/Full Size): Pamper your face with this popular 100% cotton sheet mask that uses natural ingredients such as snail secretion filtrate, EGF, and bee venom for anti-aging, whitening, and skin-soothing effects.
- Holika Holika Aloe 99% Soothing Gel (Full Size): Kick off the summer with this versatile soothing gel that contains over 99% fermented aloe vera leaf juice. Use it on your hair, face, or body for moisturizing, soothing, cooling, and rejuvenating effects without stickiness.
- Holika Holika Jewel Light Waterproof Eyeliner (Full Size): Use this long-lasting waterproof eyeliner that won't smudge through sweat or sebum. It is blendable, creamy, and highly pigmented with shimmer & glitter to highlight and define your eyes.
- Skylake Oriental Herb Cool Shampoo (Deluxe Sample); Cool down with this natural shampoo formulated with the patented SKYLAKE oriental herbal extract to clean your hair. This product also claims to prevent dandruff, itching, and hair loss.
6 products! I've always wanted one of those little deluxe samples of the Banila Clean It Zeroes actually, so I could give it away when someone wants to try a balm cleanser. The Benton Cleansing Foam is high pH, and I definitely won't be using it. Benton seems to be on their way out, with all their preservative and quality control drama, but I've yet to actually hear anyone complain about their sheet masks. I've tried one a while back, and liked it quite a bit, so I don't mind at all getting another one.
I've wanted one of those giant aloe vera bottles since I've started my AB journey, but never made it a priority to get, because shipping. The eyeliner, I couldn't really care about, as I wear makeup maybe twice a year, but I suppose I could use it when the time comes. The shampoo? The shampoo is too cool.
It's surprisingly minty smelling. I posted this to my Instagram, thinking it had a piece of mushroom, but Mishibox themselves actually jumped in and corrected. It is actually Cynanchum wilfordii root, which is used in Chinese herbal medicine (HANBAAAAAANG). They announced a few months back that Skylake was going to be one of their partner brands, so I was kind of expecting it.
Another pretty amazing thing they did was after these boxes were sent out, they posted this:
Hey guys! We thought we'd post up a quick graphic on how to read Expiration dates on Korean beauty products. Even if you can't read Korean, you can match the symbols! 😄 Basically Korean products are labeled with either the manufactured date or the expiration date. Either way, we always check them before we send out your boxes! Check out our blog on our website for more detailed information on Korean expiration dates. #mishibox #kbeauty #koreanbeauty #beautybox #beauty #subscription #subscriptionbox #koreanskincare #skincare #koreanmakeup #makeup #koreancosmetics #cosmetics #korean
How awesome is that? I just really like this company. They have great social media presence, they listen to customers, and they do little things like this. I don't think their first box had shockingly good value or anything, but you can see they actually put thought into their selection. I got a couple of products I've been wanting, but didn't bother getting because of shipping, some I don't mind having, and a new product I'm pretty excited to try out (Tracy from Fanserviced-B said some good things about Skylake on her Insta). I am definitely interested in seeing what new boxes they put together.
Unsolicited Suggestions for Mishibox:
- More hanbang products, please. I don't know a lot of brands other than Sulwhasoo, which is ultra high-end, and Evercos, which I've mentioned. I would love to see what else is out there.
- Please, no more high pH cleansers. I won't use them. A lot of informed consumers aren't going to use them. If you don't know which cleansers are high pH, the /r/AsianBeauty sub has a list. I'd rather have a toner. I mean, I'd rather have serums and creams, but I'm assuming toners are in the same price range.
- I would not mind sunscreens. Not one bit. I'm always wanting to try new sunscreens, but am afraid of committing to full sizes without knowing if they'll break me out.
- I don't care for body products unless it's like a foot peeling mask or an adorable hand lotion. I don't want body gels or soaps or anything.
- I know sometimes you just gotta throw a sheet mask in there to fill a box. I'm ok with that. Please, no Missha Pure Source masks. And definitely not the 3D Red Ginseng mask. They're just awful. Hydrogels would make me (and quite a few others, I imagine) swoon. :)
|Psst, I wouldn't mind this in a box.|
June 2015 BirchboxI got this for $1, actually. I think the code was TATIOFFER for new members, but I don't know if it's expired or not. Very pleasantly surprised! Unfortunately, I don't think I will keep the subscription, as I already have my Mishibox subscription, and that's $10 more per month on top of it. I just don't need more deluxe samples... I saw some people post theirs on Instagram, and I'm assuming they actually do some level of customization, as some people got more makeup stuff and body care products. Here's what I got:
- Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle: Best-selling leave-in that locks in color, protects from heat damage, and adds silkiness.
- Coola Classic SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face: Hydrator that blocks UV rays, protects against future signs of aging, and has a fresh cucumber scent.
- Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow: This multitasker, rich in antioxidants and aloe, covers imperfections, evens tone, and calms skin.
- Marcelle Waterproof Eyeliner: This blendable waterproof eyeliner goes on smoothly and stays put all day.
- Skynn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels: Peptide-packed cooling treatment to hydrate and refresh stressed skin under the eyes.
- Emi Jay Hair Tie (Lifestyle Extra): We've added in this chic hair tie from Emi Jay for all your summer 'dos.
I actually don't think this would be a bad subscription at all for $10, considering I got a bunch of deluxe samples. I don't particularly care for any of these brands, but I'll definitely get some use out of those eye gels and the eyeliner. By the way, if anyone actually uses these types of hair ties, go save yourself a bunch of money - find a fabric shop and ask for fold-over elastic. They're less than $1 a yard. I have a couple dozen yards collecting dust in my crafts room from my old cloth diaper sewing days.
Jolse Cosrx HaulI placed my order 5/25 and received it 6/18. 24 days from start to finish. Also, I was a cheapass and didn't pay the $2.50 for the tracking number, but went on their site to look, and it had tracking!
This is mostly a 50 Shades of Snail inspired haul, as she is basically a spokeswoman for the miracles of Cosrx, and we bond on Twitter over late night cravings for sugary sweets, so I'm weak to her enabling. I got the following:
- Cosrx Galactomyces 95 White Power Essence (aka the Racism essence)
- Cosrx Natural BHA Skin Returning A-Sol
- Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid
- Cosrx Honey Ceramide Full Moisture Cream
- Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
I'm trying out the Cosrx Natural BHA Skin Returning A-Sol tonight, and will report back after a couple of weeks to see how it goes. Speaking of, I need to share these magnificent exchanges with everyone:
@holysnailsblog @cosrx I pronounce it "ay" for sure. "I was getting a zit on my forehead so I rubbed my AY-SOL on it."— 50 Shades Of Snail (@crazysnaillady) June 19, 2015
Starting testing tonight: @cosrx Natural #BHA Skin Returning A-Sol (do you pronounce that "Ay" or "Ah"?? 😂) This thing looks so small in real life, but there's plenty of product. It smells like mild tea tree, and absorbs readily. I applied it about 15 minutes ago, no stinging and it's absorbed completely without making my skin feel all tight and dry. We shall see! #rasianbeauty #bbloggers #kbeauty
Too cute. Also, apparently Jolse is gaining legendary status for their samples. I expected the free gift to brag about. I got this instead:
That's 14 sample packets, an Etude House Tea Tree Sheet Mask, and my free gift, the Skin Watchers Green Snail Healing Gel Cream, because I totally need another cream, right? But seriously, damn, Bae. I like to imagine whoever is in charge of packing the boxes and selecting samples must step back every time a box is taped up, and go "BAM, bitches!"